Fall means football in the South
Friday my sweet hubby and I were featured on Southern Weddings for their Southern Newlywed Date Night segment. When our favorite photography team, Ally and Bobby, reached out to us about this football photo shoot I was overjoyed! I had always wanted pictures of Coach and me in our element, and these were the perfect excuse to get some fun photos.
We had planned to do this photo shoot for months, and I swear mother nature did everything she could to make sure it wasn’t going to happen. Coach and I were supposed to fly to NC for a weekend in August and our flight ended up being cancelled. I was devastated, but we were determined to get this to work, so we booked a new flight for the beginning of October to go home for a long weekend and visit with family. It was timed perfectly with all my cousins being in town for an impromptu family reunion. Then Hurricane Matthew had other plans, and decided he wanted to pay us a little visit. I was pretty positive that our flight would be cancelled, yet again, and we would have to postpone this photoshoot even longer.
Luckily, we flew in just before the storm hit and we were still able to have our family reunion as planned. The next day the sky cleared and it was absolutely perfect for our photo shoot.
It had been a rough day for me, as my dad isn’t in the best health, so I was a little dreading having to get my picture taken. I took note from a spunky four year old, and listened to “my happy song” to get myself in a better mood. It is so fun working with Ally and Bobby, and as soon as we got in front of that camera all my worries slipped away.
We got to live out our favorite date night idea in front of the camera, and these photos are my absolute favorite of us to date!
Here are my Five Favorite Date Nights:
1. Tossing the football. Being married to a Texas high school football coach means my life looks a lot like a scene out of Friday Night Lights. We met on the football field, our first date was a four-hour road trip to watch the Sooners take on the Horned Frogs, and a lot of our dates revolve around football season and finding ways to spend meaningful time together despite the hectic schedule. Some days we take the football and play around in our backyard, or we’ll walk the nature path behind our house with our dogs. Other times we make a date night out of going to scout upcoming opponents! One perk of coach life is that we get free tickets to local football games, so we frequently have date nights to TCU football games. Our lives really do revolve around the sport, and we never get tired of it!
2. Downtown and local eats. We love dressing up and heading downtown to explore. We make a trip out of it, and if the weather permits, always try to eat outside. I love trying new restaurants, and eating local is one of my favorite ways to find the best cuisine. It always evokes good conversation, and I love the small town feel.
3. Camping. Coming from families that grew up camping, I love to tie my hair up and have a relaxing weekend outdoors — we’ll bring the dogs, unplug from technology, and enjoy nature to its fullest. Sometimes we fish at the lake, other times we explore the countryside, but no matter what, we have uninterrupted time for meaningful conversation and to enjoy each others company.
4. Past and future. Between the busyness of football season and wedding season, date nights in are some of my favorites. We love to lounge around with a glass of wine and take a walk down memory lane. I am still amazed by all of the things that we have been through as a couple, and I’m in awe of how we got to where we are. We also love dreaming about the future on these slow nights in!
5. Ice cream. Whether we’re at Goodberry’s in Raleigh or Sweet Sammies in Fort Worth, we love to take trips for ice cream. There’s nothing more refreshing in the Southern heart, and it gives us a good excuse to just focus on each other!
Here lately, with Coach’s 45 minute commute, I feel like I lose a lot of precious time with this sweet man of mine, but we always try to find time just for us. Whether that means waking up at 5am to ride to school with him, driving myself back to Weatherford, and then heading back to school to pick him up for the drive home, or one of our favorite date nights, there is always an extra moment to spare.
Cheering you on,